Thursday, January 6, 2011

Why Hubcap Dave?

Short answer: Why not?

But seriously, most people who've known me know the answer, but for those of you who don't, here's the real answer: for thirteen years of my life, I supported myself by selling hubcaps, wheel covers (there's a difference!), and other wheel accessories. Out of all the various jobs I have held, it is still the one I feel the most defined by. My store was something of a local landmark; it had been there for decades. When people used to ask me what I did for a living, I'd say, "You know that hub cap store on El Camino?" "Yeah?" " I own it!" It made for interesting conversations.

It was a fascinating place. I always likened it to a cross between a junkyard and a history museum. I used to get people who would come in and do nothing but walk around and look at all the different hub caps I had in stock. Had I been a shrewder business man, I would have thought to charge admission! Alas, the business was not as lucrative as it once was (that's a story for another time), and I had to close it down.

As for the moniker, when I started signing up on message boards and other fun stuff on the interwebs, it was the coolest screen name I could think of. To me, it's evocative of a 50s doo-wop band name; I could be the lead singer of Hubcap Dave and the Rally Hats. Speaking of doo-wop bands, did you know that the man who sung about Holy Divers, The man On The Silver Mountain, and about being The Last In Line, none other than Ronnie James Dio, started his singing career out as a singer in a doo-wop band? I give you Ronnie Dio And The Prophets!



This is even better than seeing the old video of Black Sabbath (back when they were still called Earth) singing Johnny B. Goode! But, I digress.

So, even though I no longer have anything to do with hub caps, or the industry, I still use the Hubcap Dave moniker online. Nothing else I've done for a living would make as cool a screen name (Shoeman Dave? Dave the Door Guy?), and I like it. So, as a dear friend once said to me, no matter what, I'll always be Hubcap Dave!

As for the blog, this is actually my second attempt at blogging. I started one over a year ago, promptly neglected it, and lost the link to it when my 'puter crashed last year! By then, I had forgot which free blogging site I used, so I figured I would start fresh. Besides, people blog about all kinds of stupid crap; why not add my two bits to the flotsam? You never know, someone might think I make sense (or at least find me entertaining)!

3 comments:

  1. This is really nice!

    Glad to see you writing and creating. It's fun, isn't it?

    I am still working on my format and widgets and all sorts of things.

    Keep up the good work!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome.

    I just read your post about Ayn Rand. Been a LONG time since I read The Fountainhead. I think I'll put it on my reading list for this year.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. Please have your comment be respectful, substantive, and on-topic. Personal attacks, snide remarks, and name-calling are not tolerated, and your comment will not be approved if they contain such. This is not YouTube, folks!